Facial trauma can impact not just your physical appearance, but also your oral health and overall physical, emotional and mental well-being. Accidents, sports injuries, falls and other unforeseen incidents can result in facial injuries—including damage to your teeth and jaw.
Fortunately, dental implants can help repair facial trauma. Your doctor and the Cleveland Implant Institute care team can work together to restore your facial structure and smile.
What is facial trauma?
Facial trauma includes a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to severe fractures of the jawbone and tooth loss. These injuries can affect not only your appearance but also your ability to speak, eat and even breathe properly.
Tooth loss is one of the most common results of facial trauma. When a tooth is knocked out or damaged beyond repair, it leaves a gap that impacts your smile. This can lead to further oral health issues if left untreated.
How dental implants restore facial damage
Dental implants are a popular solution to replace missing teeth. They are particularly valuable in facial trauma situations. Here’s how they can help:
- Restores function: Dental implants are designed to function just like natural teeth. They provide stability and support for biting, chewing and speaking. This ensures that you can regain full functionality of your mouth after a traumatic injury.
- Preserves jawbone density: When a tooth is lost, the jawbone in that area can begin to deteriorate over time. Dental implants, unlike traditional bridges or dentures, stimulate the jawbone and prevent bone loss. This helps maintain the integrity of your facial structure.
- Improves appearance: Facial trauma often results in visible gaps in your smile. Dental implants not only replace missing teeth but also look and feel like natural teeth. They blend seamlessly with your remaining teeth, helping to restore your smile and confidence.
- Long-term solution: Dental implants are a durable, long-lasting solution. With proper care and maintenance, they can last a lifetime.
- Better oral health: Dental implants don’t require the alteration of adjacent teeth, like dental bridges. This means that your natural teeth can remain untouched, promoting better overall oral health.
The dental implant process
Dr. Mike and the Cleveland Implant Institute care team develop individualized treatment plans for each patient. Every patient has unique needs—some patients require bone grafts, while others may need different types of implant placement. The process starts with a consultation. For patients with severe facial trauma, this may include collaborating with a medical team.
Getting dental implants typically involves several stages. This starts with the placement of the implant post into the jawbone. Next, you’ll have a healing period, during which the implant fuses with the bone. Finally, Dr. Mike will attach a customized dental crown to the implant. While it may take some time, the end result is a fully functional and aesthetically pleasing replacement tooth.
Modern dental implants offer a way to permanently restore your smile and oral health. By replacing missing teeth, preserving jawbone health and providing a long-term solution, dental implants can be the key to facial trauma treatment. Call the Cleveland Implant Institute to schedule a consultation today.