Are you considering dental implants to replace missing teeth or enhance your smile? Dental implants are a long-lasting solution for restoring both function and aesthetics. You can start preparing for the procedure right away—here’s how.
Consultation with the Cleveland Implant Institute
The first and most important step on your path to dental implants is scheduling a consultation with Dr. Mike and the Cleveland Implant Institute care team. During this initial visit, your care team will:
- Evaluate your oral health: A comprehensive examination will help identify any existing dental issues, including gum disease, tooth decay or infections.
- Assess your medical history: Mike will review your medical history to ensure that you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. Some health conditions, like uncontrolled diabetes or certain medications, can affect the success of the procedure.
- Discuss your treatment plan: Based on your evaluation, your care team will develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs and preferences. This plan will outline the number of implants required and the treatment timeline.
Address pre-existing dental issues
Before implant surgery, any pre-existing dental issues must be resolved to ensure a healthy environment for the new implants. This may involve:
- Treatment for gum disease: Periodontal treatment may be necessary to control gum disease and prevent complications during the implant procedure.
- Tooth extractions: If any remaining damaged teeth need to be removed, your dentist will perform extractions to prepare your mouth for the implant surgery.
Assessments for dental implants
To ensure precise placement of the implants, your dentist will take X-rays may use other imaging technology. These imaging methods provide detailed views of your jawbone and allow your care team to plan the exact positioning of the implants.
Next, your care team will assess your bone density. Dental implants rely on a sturdy foundation, which means your jawbone should have sufficient density to support the implant posts. In cases where bone density is lacking, your dentist may recommend bone grafting to build up the necessary structure.
Once your dental provider has gathered all the necessary information, they will discuss your treatment plan in detail. This includes information about which type of implants are right for you, how long the process will take and more.
In preparation for your implant procedure, it’s essential to make a few lifestyle adjustments. For example, smoking can hinder the healing process and increase the risk of implant failure. Consider quitting before the surgery. You’ll also want to keep up with your oral healthcare routine. Keeping your mouth clean and healthy will prevent infections.
With thorough preparation and guidance from your Cleveland Implant Institute care team, you will be well-prepared for the dental implant process. These dental devices can transform your smile and restore your confidence. If you’re ready for dental implants, reach out to Dr. Mike and the Cleveland Implant Institute to get started.